This is a delicious thick and hearty soup for a cold and rainy day. Make it vegan by topping with sauteed garlic mushrooms instead of prawns, or if you’re a meat lover it’s also lovely topped with crispy bacon or chorizo. Don’t forget the crusty bread for dipping!
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 4
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cooking Time 25 minutes
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 3 medium (750g) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litre (4 cups) gluten-free vegetable stock or water
- 200g (1.5 cups) corn kernels (tinned, fresh or frozen)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Vitasoy Soy Milky Regular*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1kg green raw prawns, peeled (to give about 450g raw prawn meat)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
* Any of the Vitasoy Soymilk range can be substituted for the Soy Milky.
- Place the carrot, celery, potato and stock (or water) into a large soup pot. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil over high heat, then simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are very soft. Puree with a stick blender in the pot.
- Add the corn kernels and soymilk and simmer for 5 minutes until the corn is tender. Taste and season with pepper and a little salt. Keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a frypan, add the garlic and fry for 10 seconds until fragrant. Add the prawns and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes until the prawns turn pink and are just cooked through. Add the parsley and stir through.
- Spoon the corn chowder into bowls and top with prawns. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve