This is an amazingly delicious vegan quiche recipe that uses the goodness of soymilk and tofu to create a creamy and smooth filling. You can use any of your favourite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. The homemade herb wholemeal crust is really easy and delicious. Enjoy!
- Recipe by Veggieful
- Serves 6
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- Olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 60g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red capsicum
- 4 asparagus spears, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Handful baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- TOFU MIX:
- 350g extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast*
- 5 tablespoons Soy Milky Lite
- Big pinch salt & freshly cracked pepper
- WHOLEMEAL HERB CRUST:
- 200g Wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- BIG pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 115ml water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Nutritional yeast (or savoury yeast flakes), looks like big yellow flakes and has an amazing cheesy flavour. You can purchase it from your local health food store.
- Preheat oven at 180C and spray a 25cm diameter round quiche tin with oil.
- Make the wholemeal crust: add all ‘crust’ ingredients to a bowl and stir until roughly combined. Pour the mixture onto a clean surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes until it comes together into a soft and smooth dough. It should be dry enough to not stick to your hands, but wet enough to easily be moulded and kneaded. Once soft and smooth, roll the dough out with a rolling pin (or cup) into a thin circle. Place it over the quiche tin and press with your fingers to push the crust evenly into all corners of the tin. Prick the base a few times with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Bake for 10 minutes until slightly firm. Set it aside.
- Make the filling: In a frypan on high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and the leek. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds or so until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, capsicum and asparagus and sauté for a few minutes until the capsicum and asparagus is tender. Throw in the basil leaves and baby spinach and stir for another 1 minute or so until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat and set aside.
- Make the tofu mixture: In a food processor, add in the tofu, nutritional yeast, soymilk and salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy. If it does not reach the smooth and creamy stage, drizzle in a little bit more soymilk until the right consistency is achieved. Pour the tofu into a bowl.
- Pour the sautéed vegetable fillings into the bowl with the tofu mixture and stir until combined. Pour the tofu and vegetable filing into the pre-baked crust. Use a spoon to smooth over the top of the quiche.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until firm, slightly browned and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 delicious pieces. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve