You might be surprised by the title of this recipe … but you CAN have vegan “sausage” rolls! We’re sure you will love these and that your whole family will enjoy them!
- Recipe by Veggieful
- Serves 12
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- Vegan "Sausage" Mince:
- 1 brown onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, finely chopped
- 300g extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon "smoked" paprika
- 1 tablespoon Soy Milky Lite
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 slightly-thawed vegan puff pastry sheets
- tomato sauce/ketchup to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl add all "sausage mince" ingredients and mix until combined. Slightly mash the mince for a more combined texture.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Cut the three slightly-thawed puff pastry sheets in half to make a total of 6 rectangles.
- Place the sausage mince mixture into the centre of the rectangles and make a long sausage longways down the pastry sheet.
- Use your finger to wet the edges of the pastry sheet and fold them over.
- Place the rolls on the baking tray and cut them all in half to make a total of 12 sausage rolls.
- Use a pastry brush to brush a light coat of soymilk on to the tops of the sausage rolls.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and puffy.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Now start receiving compliments for your delicious vegan sausage rolls!
Notes: Brushing the pastry with soymilk makes a huge difference. I have trialled them both ways by spraying with oil and also brushing them with soymilk. Brushing the sausage rolls with soymilk makes them crunchier and puffier with a better golden colour!
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve