This is absolutely beautiful on its own or used as a dairy-free custard in your favourite desserts like trifle and parfait. Or simply drizzled over a slice of cake or some jelly.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 4-6
- Prep Time 2 minutes
- Cooking Time 8 minutes
- 500ml (2 cups) Vitasoy Ricemilk Original
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or pure extract)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup*
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (or tapioca flour)
*Use any sweetener of your choice – agave, sugar, honey and stevia all work well. Use an amount to suit your taste.
- Pour the ricemilk, vanilla and maple syrup into a medium saucepan and stir over medium until just under boiling point, about 3 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Whisk the eggs and cornflour in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Slowly pour the hot ricemilk into the egg mixture, whisking all the time until combined.
- Pour back into the saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take about 5 minutes.
- If there are any lumps, strain through a fine mesh, otherwise serve warm or chill in the fridge and serve cold. It will thicken further while chilling, so keep that in mind in step 3. The custard can be made in advance and then gently reheated in a bowl over simmering water.