The strawberry and custard flavours in this sponge cake complement each other very well, making it a tasty treat during the day or an impressive dessert!
- Recipe by Veggieful
- Serves 12
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Custard cream:
- 2 cups Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite
- 4 tablespoons corn flour
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- icing sugar, to dust
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and spray a 20cm diameter spring form tin with oil.
Make the cake: In a large bowl, beat the caster sugar, margarine and vanilla until creamy. Add all other 'cake' ingredients, including the Vitasoy Soy MIlky Lite and beat until smooth.
Pour the cake mixture into the tin and place in the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes or so until lightly brown on top, risen and a skewer comes out clean when poked in the centre. Depending on the power of your oven, you may need to lower the temperature half way through to avoid the top burning.
Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. Remove from the tin.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. Remove from the tin.
In the meantime, make the custard cream. Mix the corn flour with a dash of Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite until the lumps have dissolved. Add this and the rest of the 'custard cream' ingredients to a pot on medium heat and whisk until combined. Bring to the boil and then take off the heat and allow to cool. Set aside.
Once the cake has cooled, carefully cut it in half.
- Lightly spread some strawberry jam on the bottom half.
Pour the custard over the strawberry jam and spread evenly.
Cover the custard with sliced fresh strawberries.
Place the top of the cake back on.
Dust with icing sugar.
Vegan margarine must be used for this recipe to be suitable for vegans
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve