This pasta is a shocking pink/purple colour and all the better for it! The sauce is completely vegan, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free although it is garnished with cheese and nuts – these are optional. If you would like to keep it vegan and nut free, try a garnish of toasted poppy seeds and pepitas instead.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 4
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cooking Time 45 minutes
- 600g fresh beetroot (about 4 medium), scrubbed, trimmed and cut into small dice
- (no need to peel)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 160ml (2/3 cup) vegetable stock
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Vitasoy Original soymilk*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- hot cooked pasta, to serve
- walnuts, watercress leaves and feta cheese (optional, leave cheese out to make dish vegan), to garnish
* Any of the Vitasoy range of unflavoured soymilks, ricemilks or oatmilks may be substituted.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Put the diced beetroot onto a roasting tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the thyme sprigs and garlic cloves and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes until very tender. Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Place the beetroot into the bowl of a food processor or powerful blender. Push the garlic out of the skins and put that into the food processor too. Add the vinegar and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and process until a smooth paste forms. Add a splash or two of water if your device is having problems making it into a paste.
- Place the beetroot paste into a medium saucepan and add the stock, soymilk and sugar. Bring to a simmer then taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Toss through hot pasta and garnish with walnuts, watercress leaves and feta.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve