A family favourite, with the added bonus of being gluten and lactose free.
- Recipe by Dr Sue Shepherd
- Serves 8-10
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg extra lean beef mince
- 700ml tomato puree
- 180g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1L Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite
- 3 Tbsp gluten free cornflour
- 1 ¼ cups sheep's pecorino cheese, grated
- 2 x packets gluten free lasagne sheets
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
- In a large heavy-based fry pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion softened. Add beef, and sauté until browned. Add tomato puree, mushrooms, carrot and chilli (if using). Season with pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite with cornflour to form a paste. Add remaining Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite, mixing well to ensure evenly combined. Pour into a saucepan, stirring continually over medium heat until thickened. Do not boil. Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Run lasagne sheets under cold water or prepare as per packet directions. Place a layer of prepared lasagne sheets on bottom of lasagne dish. Spread half of meat mixture evenly over lasagne sheets. Top with 1/3 of cheese sauce. Top this with another layer of lasagne sheets, then remaining meat sauce, then 1/3 cheese sauce.
- Finally, top with final layer of lasagne sheets and remaining cheese sauce. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Sheep’s pecorino cheese has a sharp taste, similar to parmesan. It is available from gourmet delicatessens.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve