This is a very different type of cheesecake. It’s completely dairy free and almost raw, but doesn’t use any dairy replacement products. Instead, the creamy ‘cheese’ element comes from raw soaked cashews and extra flavour is added with frozen blueberries and maple syrup. You have to try it to believe it!
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 10
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cooking Time 5 hours chilling time
- 160g raw almonds
- 15 medjool dates, pitted
- 45g rolled oats*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- tablespoons coconut oil
- 400g raw cashews
- 220g blueberries (fresh or frozen, frozen will make the colour deeper)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or pure extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 125ml maple syrup
- 60ml Vitasoy Ricemilk Original
- 160ml coconut oil
- chia seeds, to garnish (optional)
* Replace the oats with 45g extra almonds to make the Cheesecake gluten free
- Place the cashews into a large bowl and cover with lots of cold tap water. Soak overnight (or at least 4 hours), then drain and set aside. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Put the almonds into a food processor and blitz until very finely chopped. Add the lemon zest, dates, oats and coconut oil and pulse for a minute or two until the mixture sticks together when pinched between two fingers. Press the mixture evenly into the cake tin using a small glass on its side to flatten as firmly as possible.
- Wash the food processor bowl and add the drained cashews. Blitz until very finely cut, almost a smooth paste, then add the blueberries, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and maple syrup. Process again until incorporated then drizzle in the Vitasoy Ricemilk through the chute, then the coconut oil and blend until well mixed.
- Pour into the cake tin and sprinkle with chia seeds, if using. Place into the fridge for 4 hours until thoroughly chilled, then into the freezer for 1 hour until partially frozen. You can serve it without being frozen, but the texture will be very soft and pudding-like.
You can substitute the ricemilk with any of the other soy or oatmilks from the Vitasoy range if you prefer.