Get in the mood with the flavours of Christmas in the lead up, or use up excess dried fruit from making your Christmas cake! These are free from refined sugars because I’m assuming you’ll be drowning them in maple syrup, but if not you can add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the batter in the first step.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 4 (makes 12 pancakes)
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 125g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 250ml (1 cup) Vitasoy Calci-Plus Soymilk*
- 80g (1/2 cup) mixed dried fruit (including peel)
- 40g (1/4 cup) glace cherries
- neutral oil, for pan frying
- Extra dried fruit, blanched almonds and maple syrup, to serve
* Any of the Vitasoy range of plant milks can be substituted.
- Place the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and cinnamon into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a small jug, whisk together the egg and soymilk and add to the dry ingredients. Add the dried fruit and cherries and stir to combine. The batter will be quite thick.
- Heat a little oil in a medium fry pan and ladle in enough batter to make a medium sized pancake. Cook for 2 minutes until the underside is golden and the pancake is stable enough to flip. Flip and cook for 1 minute on the other side. Keep warm on a plate in a low oven while you repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with extra fruit, blanched almonds and maple syrup.