If you want a super decadent version, crumble some chocolate eggs over the top before baking! If you don’t have any Vitasoy Soy Milky Chocolate, you can use Vitasoy Soy Milky Regular or Lite and add 2 tbs of cocoa powder when you heat the milk. Stir well to fully melt it.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 6
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 6 hot cross buns, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 500ml (2 cups) Vitasoy Soy Milky Chocolate
- small chocolate eggs, to garnish
- Dairy free coconut ice cream, to serve
- Grease a 2L baking dish with the coconut oil and arrange the hot cross buns in the dish. Set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla and maple syrup in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the Vitasoy Soy Milky Chocolate into a medium saucepan and heat until scalding hot, but not yet boiling, stirring constantly. Pour over the egg mixture and whisk vigorously until combined. Pour over the hot cross buns and allow to sit for 30 mins (this will help make the texture of the pudding light and fluffy as the bread soaks up the liquid).
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 25 mins until the custard is set and the tops of the buns are golden brown and crunchy. Scatter with chocolate eggs and serve with coconut ice cream, if desired