Be sure to use a good quality cocoa powder for this recipe as it will impart a richer chocolate flavour. Then all you have to think about is what flavour of ice cream to serve them with – the possibilities are endless. For this photo I used vanilla, but strawberry, caramel or even chocolate would also be great matches.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves makes 8 crepes
- Prep Time 5 minutes + 1 hour resting time (optional)
- Cooking Time 15 minutes
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 180ml Vitasoy Soy Milky Regular*
- 25g unsalted butter
- cooking spray or more melted butter, for frying
- ice cream and maple syrup, to serve
* Other Vitasoy products may also be substituted such as Vitasoy Original, High Fibre or Calci-Plus.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, soymilk and melted butter. Whisk to combine thoroughly then leave to sit for 1 hour (you can skip this step if you're short on time, but the finished crepes won't be as light in texture).
- Heat a 20cm non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or brush with melted butter then ladle in 3-4 tablespoons of crepe batter and quickly swirl to cover the base of the pan. Cook for 1 minute until small bubbles appear on the surface then flip and cook for 30 seconds or until cooked through.
- Place on a warm plate and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm then repeat with the remaining batter, oiling or buttering the pan in-between each one. If you are making them ahead of time you an place the covered plate of crepes in a low oven to keep warm for a few hours. Serve with ice-cream and drizzled with maple syrup.