Pikelets are the perfect treat for chubby little toddler fingers. They are easy to hold, easy to chew and don’t make too much mess for mum (no crumbs!), so are great portable snacks for the pram or car. If you find yourself making these often, then why not try swapping out the coconut for the same amount of grated vegetable such as carrot, zucchini or even beetroot for an extra nutritional boost!
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 15
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cooking Time 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 3/4 cup (185ml) Vitasoy Original Soymilk
- 1 cup (150g) self raising flour
- 1/4 cup (15g) shredded coconut
- vegetable oil, for pan frying
- Place the chia seeds into a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside for 5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Place the honey or agave into a medium sized bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of boiling water (from the kettle) and stir until dissolved. Add the chia mixture and the soymilk and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add the flour and coconut and stir to combine. Add the soymilk mixture and whisk to form a thick batter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and brush with vegetable oil. Drop in heaped teaspoons of mixture and cook for 30 seconds or until small bubbles appear. Flip and cook for a further 30 seconds. Transfer to a paper-lined plate and keep warm while you repeat with the rest of the mixture. Allow to cool slightly before serving with fresh fruit or a little slick of jam.
* Agave syrup can be replaced with honey if they don’t need to be vegan.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve