This is the perfect make-ahead picnic treat. The flavour and texture both benefit from being left to cool to room temperature and it’s really sturdy so transports well. If you’re not a carrot fan you could substitute zucchini with great results.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves 6
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 120g (1 cup) wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 375ml (1.5 cups) Vitasoy Soy Milky Lite*
- 2 medium carrots (approx 150g), grated
- 120g cooked lentils (half a 400g can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 70g (1 cup) vegan cheese, grated (I like Notzarella brand)
* You can substitute Vitasoy Soy Milky Regular or Vitasoy Original for the Soy Milky Lite.
- Place the chia seeds into a small bowl with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for 5 minutes to form a thick gel. Heat the oven to 200C/400F and line a 20cm round pie or cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add the chia seed mixture, flour, soymilk and baking powder and whisk to form a thick batter.
- Add the carrot, lentils, spring onions, chives, lemon zest and most of the cheese (keep 2 tablespoons aside for the top). Stir to combine.
- Pour into the pie tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin until room temperature (it will firm up during this time) and then slice and serve or pack up in an airtight container for a picnic.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve