What could possibly make ANZAC biscuits even yummier? Sandwiching them together with golden syrup ganache of course! This ganache is made using soymilk instead of cream and you can make it completely dairy free by seeking out white chocolate that is dairy free. Or use dark chocolate instead.
- Recipe by Christie Connelly
- Serves makes 10 sandwiches (20 biscuits)
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cooking Time 15 minutes (plus 3 hours cooling time for the ganache)
- For the biscuits:
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g dairy-free spread (such as Nuttelex)
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- For the golden syrup ganache:
- 120g white chocolate (dairy free, if you can find it), finely chopped
- 80ml Vitasoy Original soymilk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- Put all three ingredients into a glass bowl and place over a small saucepan of simmering water about 3cm deep over medium heat. Make sure that the water does not touch the bowl. Leave for 5 minutes to warm the soymilk, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave at room temperature for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally until thickened to spreading consistency. You can leave this on the bench overnight if you want to prepare it in advance. Use to sandwich ANZAC biscuits once they are cool (recipe below).
- Preheat the oven 150C. Line two baking trays with non-stick paper.
- Combine the sugar, flour, oats and coconut in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then add the golden syrup, boiling water and baking soda. It will foam up to triple the volume almost immediately. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Place spoonfuls on the trays about 5cm apart and flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. They'll still be quite soft, so carefully transfer to a rack to cool. They'll firm up when they get to room temperature. When cool, sandwich together with ganache.
Nutritional Analysis – Amount per Serve