Weekend healthy eating tips
At one time or another, we’ve all thought ‘I’ve had a hard week, so I deserve a treat’. While we have eaten well all week, Friday night arrives and our resolve is thrown out the window with a bottle of wine and/or heavy takeaway foods.
These are some tips that you can implement to avoid feeling too guilty come Monday.
- Keep yourself physically active for at least 30 minutes per day on the weekend.
- Plan family activities like bike rides or outdoor games. This helps you spend time with your family and burn calories all at once!
- Don’t skip breakfast. Start Saturday and Sunday mornings with a healthy breakfast that includes protein, good fats and fibre. Healthy choices include eggs, whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk/ Vitasoy rice milk, or whole-wheat toast with peanut butter.
- Consider using a food diary, especially during the weekends, as this will help you keep control of what and how much you are eating/drinking.
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. This will help you get your water for the day and resist the temptation to reach for high-calorie drinks.
- If you are going to be out all day, pack some healthy snack options in case you get hungry. Fresh fruit, sliced carrots, celery or a small packet of raw nuts are all good options.
- Decriminalise all foods: nothing should be off-limits. Once you’re allowed occasional treats you won’t feel deprived or believe you’re cheating.
- There are other ways to reward yourself other than food treats. For example, treat yourself to a massage, a facial, a hot bath or a night out at the movies (just make sure you skip the snack bar!)
Remember life is too short to beat yourself up over your eating habits. The key is to not play the victim and become proactive in enjoying your weekends guilt-free!